We've been getting a lot of questions lately about the theme of 'wanting children'. Despite the fact that there is no 'one size fits all' approach for optimal preparation for pregnancy, there are indeed a number of important spearheads and golden tips. Good preparation (which, in our opinion, you start half a year before a possible pregnancy) is so essential. Optimization of your system (intestines, hormones, immune system) not only has a huge positive impact on your health and fertility. It is also essential for your baby's health.
Optimization of your diet
- Make sure you get enough nutrients so that your system can function optimally. With a calorie deficit, your system can go into 'survival' mode. Survival always takes precedence over reproduction. Not useful if you want to get pregnant.
- Pay attention to a healthy ratio of carbohydrates, proteins and fats. In practice, we see that many clients mainly consume a lot of carbohydrates, while proteins and healthy fats are just so important. An app like 'My fitness pal' (a digital food diary) can be helpful and provides a lot of insight.
- Eliminate foods that you are intolerant to, you can have this tested (with us) via blood test.
Create 'me time' and relaxation for rest in your system
Me time (without feeling guilty about it...) is essential for a healthy endocrine system. Reproducing is a luxury. A body that is in a stressful situation will always choose survival (stress) instead of reproduction. So plan time for yourself and literally block it in your agenda. Read a book, take an online yoga class (and opt for the soft forms), integrate meditation and gratitude exercises, go outside for a walk every day, take a bath, take an afternoon nap, ask your partner for a massage… You name it! It is of course advisable, in addition to integrating relaxation, to also investigate whether you experience a lot of pressure / stress and whether you can change something about it / deal with it differently.
Ensure optimal blood values
Many women do not start taking supplements until they are pregnant. A shame because there is so much profit to be made by ensuring that your blood values are optimal BEFORE you become pregnant. Don't just opt for folic acid or a pregnancy multi from Kruidvat (no offense) and also go for quality! The supplements that we highly recommend are:
- Vitamin D3 + K2
- Omega 3
- Last trimester probiotics, possibly in combination with a vaginal probiotic
- Optionally supplemented with B12, iron, protein
Do you and your partner experience challenges around getting pregnant, or would you like support in this process in general? Please get in touch, we will be happy to help you.